Throughout Times

Often the hearts of men and women are stirred, as likewise they are soothed in their sorrows more by example than by words. And therefore, because I too I have known some consolation from speech had with one who was a witness thereof, am I now minded to write of the sufferings which have sprung out of my misfortunes, for the eyes of one who, though absent, is of himself ever a consoler. This I do so that, in comparing your sorrows with mine, you may discover that yours are in truth nought, or at the most but of small account, and so shall you come to bear them more easily. -Historia Calamitatum

Feels like Wind on the Hill

01. Antony & The JohnsonsOne Dove
The Crying Light (Secretly Canadian, 2009)
02. Lisa HanniganSea song
Sea sew (ATO Records, 2008)
03. Joan As Police WomanHoliday
To Survive (Cheap Lullaby, 2008)
04. VetiverAnother Reason To Go
Tight Knit (Sub Pop, 2009)
05. TrapezeGoin Home (wiki)
Hot Wire (One Way Records Inc, 1974)
06. Ida MariaKeep Me Warm
Fortress Round My Heart (Phantom Sound & Vision, 2008)
07. The Phantom BandThrowing bones
Checkmate Savage (Chemikal Underground, 2009)

note: A survey of recent indie release tracks. But with mix between rock, Irish folks texture and funk, blending a little with previous posts. I pick slower tempo with sweet melodies, hence the story feel of the post. I like the recollection quality, like small room evening conversation in pop flavor. (and new MdM habit of focusing on high fidelity headphone tracks.) Mostly about love and daily life. Enjoy.

image: Michael Rodriguez. (American, born 1964). 0303. Gouache, watercolor, ink, and pencil on paper, 16 x 22 3/4″ (40.6 x 57.8 cm). The Judith Rothschild Foundation Contemporary Drawings Collection Gift. © 2009 Michael Rodriguez

Category: Bedroom playlist, Folk, Pop

1. squashed says:

But we figure it’s an interesting change,

How do people listen to MdM usually anyway? small computer speaker? earphones? or headphone? … iPod/mp3 players?

2. Moka says:

squashed said: I am not sure at all if people like list that is specifically designed for headphone… as oppose to general speaker.

Well I like it ;)

3. Moka says:

Btw, that opening track by Antony sounds delicious on headphones, I hadn’t given the album a chance yet because the song he chose as a single wasn’t very interesting imho, but this one sounds amazing, loving the sax-vocals interlude.

But yeah I like this playlist, regardless of listening method the flow feels right and it is indeed designed to be played on small rooms. Thanks squashed!

4. squashed says:

I’ve been watching so many anime. I think I ruin my hearing. But they are absolutely amazing as popular culture. I think I am going to splash the posts with tons of anime images soon. I found several illustration books.

They looks like 60′s psychedelia.

(btw, I was trying to explain why the sudden pop post with headphone. lol.)

5. John says:

I finally caved and bought a great pair of Bose headphones and I must say that listening to tracks without an equalizer has been a revelation. In fact, the difference is so marked that I sometimes regret knowing this difference exists. Now it’s hard just to “put a record” on the stereo and listen to it on my inferior speakers. So, my Ipod has become an extension of my body. I have mixed feelings about this, but certainly no mixed feelings about your playlists. Keep sending them this way!

6. angeles says:

poor Abelard and so sad Antony’s song

7. angeles says:

snif

8. Moka says:

I’m falling strongly in love with Lisa Hannigan. Have you ever seen her singing with Damien Rice on the BBC sessions? Her voice is the highlight of the whole concert for me:

9. squashed says:

angeles said, February 4, 2009 @ 7:47 pm
    poor Abelard and so sad Antony’s song

Hey, where have you been?

Abelard? hm, I think he was too smart for his own good. But really if you think about it, he was the cutting edge of 12th century academia. Is not like he was starving peasant or anything, and the church actually gave him stuff. He seems to be protected by several strong people. … annnnnd he got the babe. lol. but you are right, he was miserable and he knows it. (there is a series of love letter of his and his girl. I bet they are among the few people who actually can read and write in the entire europe, nevermind writing pages and pages of letters.)

.. btw, was digging for blogging resource, I found this japanese illustrator, amazing stuff. you;ll love it. really. I am going to post one of his work. you should check him out. you won’t be disappointed. (see the virgin image no5 & 7)

10. squashed says:

Moka said, February 5, 2009 @ 8:09 pm · Edit

I didn’t even know he was singing with Damien rice until you point that out. No wonder her voice sounds familiar. I wonder why she is not signed with bigger label.

ok nevermind. ato is sony/bmg imprint lead by dave matthew band. (hmmm, very much major label. I shouldn’t post her … lol)

11. Jesús says:

Nice one!

# squashed said, February 4, 2009 @ 2:33 am

But we figure it’s an interesting change,

I usually listen to MdM while working, so I use computer speakers and earphones. I know it’s not the ideal situation… but I still enjoy the playlists a lot!

12. angeles says:

thanks! great stuff in the Mini Library post. I found interesting stuff linking to minimalist poetry at skylab

cheers

13. [...] also: Throughout Times image: The Mothers. 1921 by Käthe Kollwitz [...]

14. squashed says:

# Jesús said, February 6, 2009 @ 6:07 am

ok. the biggest different between large headphone and earphone is at very low volume. (most of MdM deep night list is designed to be played at very low volume) large headphone can play very low volume while keeping the entire frequency even. earphone usually only have middle frequency left. but no big deal, there aren’t that many lists that ask for special condition.

15. Scrap Music says:

Great post, might have to get The Phantom Band’s album after hearing that last song.

Peas and love