mango bo ginko

Photo: Hotel Basico. Playa del Carmen.

Belated summer / continental nostalgia.

• Andrew SistersRum & Coca Cola
    Rum & Coca Cola (1944)
  • Cesaria EvoraSodade
    Miss Perfumado (Lusafrica, 1992)
  • Os MutantesBat Macumba
    Os Mutantes (1968)
  • Seu JorgeBem Querer
    Cru (Naïve, 2004)
  • Vinícius CantuáriaIndia
    Silva (Hannibal, 2005)
  • Arto LindsaySimply Beautiful
    Mundo Civilizado (Bar None, 1996)

I’ve gone missing for the best part of the summer. Not really doing anything meaningful, mostly hypnotized and reckless.  Love will do that to you. No excuses this time.
Right now the hurricane Jova is painting the Mexican coast with rain and it’s forcing me to stay indoors all week (good news for MdM) and since I’m all sorts of a rebellious escapist I’ll call in the hidden suns with some warm, sensuous – mostly – brazilian music. I owe you a whole summer after all. Please enjoy this playlist as an apology.

note: In the past few years we were using the playtagger script to stream mp3s. As some of you may know, Yahoo! has sold the delicious to Avos and playtagger has been axed by their development team. And so, we’re left with two options: Yahoo!’s webplayer or Aol’s streampad, the former is the most similar to the one we had before and the later is less invasive but it’s hard to notice if you don’t know it’s there (check the bottom of the page as it is the one we’re currently using). The good thing about both is that they allow a continuous stream of the playlist, a feat missing from playtagger. Comment away if you know about a third option or if you’d like us to switch to the yahoo! webplayer.

Category: Acoustic, Bedroom playlist

1. Andras Fox says:

Moka Lives!

probably a good thing about the streaming playlists – I know a lot of people wanted to be able to listen through the whole list.

more music on the way soon.
    andras.

2. Calum McKinney says:

I like streampad so far. It is really nice to be able to click play once for the whole list. The little yellow progress bar looks good with the page too.

Enjoyed this post a lot, a timely shift of pace from what I’ve been listening to lately — Cole’s Cuba recordings.

3. Zach says:

Streampad seems pretty slick. Whichever you end up deciding on in the long run, continually playing tracks is a huge plus! Also, streampad apparently scrobbles to last.fm which rocks.

4. Fran says:

So glad to see you back :) You’ve been missed! I’m not sure whether it does exactly what you need for here but have you tried http://ex.fm/ I use it for sharing music to my tumblr and have found it pretty good. It also leaves it up to the individual listener whether it scrobbles to last.fm or not..

5. Toronto says:

Apology accepted! Great stuff. Would love to see you here more often.

6. Mike Ikemonster says:

Great! Greetings from Brazil!

7. Finn says:

I’ve been really enjoying the Vinícius Cantuária track. Also, I’m using streampad and it seems to work well. I like that it links all the posts into one long playlist.

8. hke says:

welcome back (:
    i too havent frequented the motel for the better part of a year or more, but it is always a warm return.

9. Jean says:

Thanks for coming back, the music here literally improves the quality of my life, and Streampad is working very well. Jean x

10. Noel says:

Moka, you have a gift.

11. Muddle one says:

Greetings from Vermont USA, Thank you for the Brazilian tracks…peace to you, post hurricanes.

12. Vic says:

Heya,

I haven’t checked in with you guys for a while, but when I do it’s always via HypeM so that I can stream the songs continously. Fantastic to find out I can do that from your website no.
    As for less invasive, I didn’t even see it there until you said to look at the bottom. :)

Still loving it all!!